Friday, April 19, 2013

Organized? Take a break!

I tried all the trendy ways to get organized, be productive, and manage my time. I followed Stephen Covey's seven habits. I was Getting Things Done according to David Allen. I lived by Mark Forster's autofocus. I even loved some of these approaches. But I noticed that the novelty of any method eases off after a while. I have to keep myself on the track, or get back to it if I lost it. Some methods are stricter than others, but they are all methods with rules you are to follow to achieve what you have in your mind. Autofocus for instance is quite relaxed in this respect: you perform any task as long as you feel like doing it; but that's a rule anyway.

I've been doing Pomodoro for a few months now. Today was the first day when I heard a tiny voice in my head. No, I don't want to draw the little boxes, I don't want to plan my day, leave me alone. So I'm going to skip it today, just do my job without further productivity rituals. And it feels right. Here is my advice, whatever method you're using, take a break every now and then, maybe once a week, and forget about productivity even at your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment